- Python, the fastest-growing major programming languages, has risen again in our survey, surpassing Java this year, and now stands as the second most beloved language (behind Rust).
- More than half of respondents had written their first code line by the age of sixteen. However, this experience varies depending on where you live and what gender you are.
- DevOps specialists, site reliability engineers, are among the most highly paid and most experienced developers. They are most satisfied with their jobs and are open to new opportunities at the lowest levels.
- China is the country with the highest percentage of developers, who believe that everyone born today will have a better future than their parents. Developers from Western European countries such as France and Germany are the least optimistic about the future.
- Different types of developers have different problems when it comes to identifying blockers that can hinder productivity. While men are more likely than women to report that being assigned to non-development work is a problem, gender minorities are more likely say that toxic work environments are a problem.
Methodology for 2019 Stack Overflow Developer survey says it is based on a survey of 88.883 software developers in 179 countries. This is the number we consider qualified for analytical purposes based upon the time spent on the complete survey. Another 400 responses were submitted, but they were not included in the analysis as respondents spent less than three hours on the survey.